Sunday, August 17, 2014

DOROTHY'S APPLE LATKES

My friend, Dorothy, would occasionally bring in Polish pancakes with kielbasa as a treat for brunch at school. As much as I will always treasure our friendship because of Dorothy's (and her mom's) culinary expertise, she is also someone I deeply admire. Dorothy, born and raised in Poland, is an extremely talented musician and earned her doctorate in this country in Viola. (All this with English as her second language!) As we all know her as Dr. Sobieski, she conducts the string orchestra at school and makes even the youngest students (with violins crafted so small that they look like toys) play like accomplished musicians. For years, my art room was next door to her music classroom and I was able to enjoy the sounds of her music all day. Her students are very lucky to have her as their mentor as I have been to have her as my friend.

Dorothy gave me her mom's apple pancake recipe, "placki z jabikami," just as they make it at home and I followed it perfectly each time to my family's delight. The tangy flavor of the sour cream is really nice. I haven't made them since changing my diet to be gluten free so this time I changed the flour to GF and also reduced the amount of flour and wet ingredients by half. This made the grated apple more of a prominent ingredient (more like a potato latke). We all loved our Polish "apple latkes" this morning! Thank you, Dorothy!


INGREDIENTS:
3 eggs, separated
1 cup light sour cream
1 cup flour (I use King Arthur gluten free brand, but regular flour can be used)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2-3 apples, peeled and grated
Oil for frying (I use grapeseed oil)
Cinnamon and sugar

  1. Separate eggs, placing whites in a mixing bowl and yolks in a small bowl to reserve. Beat egg whites until stiff.
  2. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the yolks, sour cream, flour and salt. Fold in the grated apples.
  3. Fry the latkes in small rounds on a non-stick griddle with a little oil. Cook until golden brown on both sides.
  4. Sprinkle the top with a little cinnamon and sugar while they are still hot. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment